The 12 Step Programme
What Is the 12 Steps Recovery Programme?
The 12 steps recovery programme is a well-known method of addiction rehabilitation. The programme is intended to assist those who are battling addiction, and support participants as they create and maintain recovery in their daily lives.
As you work your way through each of the steps, you reflect on the meaning, putting each concept into practice and learning how to improve your life. As part of this recovery programme, we frequently engage in groups with others going through similar situations to connect with their goals, support one another, and build upon self-esteem.
Self-esteem doesn’t come so easily for some, but we can guide you towards feeling more confident and proud in yourself every step of the way. So, here are the 12 overall steps towards recovery…
12 Steps to Addiction Recovery
- Honesty: We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Have faith or hope: We came to believe that a Power Greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Surrender and trust: We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.
- Insight or soul searching: We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Integrity: We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
- Acceptance: We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Show humility: We humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings.
- Willingness and willpower: We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Take responsibility and find forgiveness: We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when doing so would injure them or others.
- Maintenance and discipline: Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Making a connection/ spirituality: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Service – carry it forward: Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and practice these principles in all our affairs.
These steps are the recommended guidelines when your goal is abstinence. However, the time it takes to achieve each of these stages can vary from person to person, and even if you reach step 12, ongoing support is still vital in the maintenance of your recovery.
The Higher Power
The foundations of this well-practised recovery programme were originally written with the understanding of a higher power in mind to guide you. Whether you believe in a spiritual or religious higher power or not, this concept may help some discover a reason in their life to live without addiction. At New Leaf Recovery, we adapt our programmes to deliver what is needed for each client to be successful in their recovery. Get in touch today, to start the journey towards your recovery.
Types of Addiction
The 12-step recovery programme started out as a way of overcoming alcoholism but has adapted over time to relate to many addictions. This programme is also suited for people who feel they’re starting to develop an addiction and want to prevent it from progressing.
The Stepping Stones to Recovery
The 12 steps programme is a great starting point for those wanting to achieve recovery from addiction, but it is also an agenda that can be incorporated alongside other types of therapy and treatments. Our Detoxification service, which is considered the first stage of treatment, deals with the physiological effects of abstaining from addiction. This process deals with cleansing the body of toxins and can be sometimes dangerous with difficult side effects. For each different type of addiction, these side effects and withdrawals can vary considerably. Find out more about our Detoxification service.
New Leaf’s Rehabilitation treatment services vary and there are many ways to address a client’s management with withdrawals, emotions, and the effects of their behaviour. It is just as important to recognise the mentally challenging stages of recovery through certain therapies and multiple types of treatment, as offered at New Leaf Recovery. Find out more about our rehabilitation service.
Supporting Someone Through the Stages of Recovery
If you have a loved one, a friend or a colleague struggling with an addiction and you are concerned about them, check out our family support page on how to support them, or get advice from our team on how best to handle the situation.
Receive a Free Call Back
Getting the right accommodation enables us to provide the right backdrop for our recovery methods. Any form of rehabilitation needs to happen in a safe, comfortable, secure and friendly environment.
Our Complete Recovery Journey - from your initial enquiry, all the way through treatment and beyond into ongoing support, New Leaf Recovery are there to guide and support you.
New Leaf offers a complete journey of treatment - from initial detoxification and rehabilitation to ongoing support, including aftercare, family support, and beyond into long-term recovery.